By understanding some basic sources of poor indoor air quality you can improve the air you breathe in your home. Here are a few tips on improving your home’s indoor air quality. They can also save money on house cleaning, your appliances’ longevity, and best of all, doctor bills.
Gas appliances in particular emit carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and formaldehyde. Exhaust fans help move these gases out of your home.
It helps prevent mold and mildew from growing.
This naturally occurring gas can cause lung cancer, but it’s relatively easy to vent and prevent. The Minnesota department of health suggests that all home’s be tested. It’s affordable and easy to do.
Your home’s air ducts move air from your furnace / AC into living areas and then return that air to the furnace for heating / cooling and redistribution to living areas. Your air ducts are hidden in the walls and ceilings of your home. Mold, dust and other biological contaminants collect in your air ducts and get redistributed inside your home causing unhealthy air. Duct cleaning inspection uses a camera to see inside your ducts and determine the amount of contaminants present.
The air filters on your furnace and AC system remove dirt, dust and contaminates from the inside your house. Clogged filters are in-efficient and cause your heating and air system to work harder. Clogged filters don’t remove contaminants from indoor air, this reduces air quality and can trigger allergic reactions.
Water and drain pipes are hidden in the walls and ceilings of your home. Your plumbing system is a network of joints and connections of pipes. These connections can fail and develop small leaks. These leaks can promote mold growth in hidden areas. Even worse, these small leaks can fail completely causing serious flood damage to the interior of your home.
Don’t let bacteria start growing. Use a dehumidifier in the basement. Also, clean and disinfect the basement floor drain regularly.
Scrub any mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, then dry it completely.
You’ll help prevent moisture buildup and mold.
A major carbon monoxide producer.